I’m such a ravioli fan, I mean…. c’mon, I’m half Italian, it’s in my blood to be obsessed with all kinds of pasta! The other day I was in the mood for ravioli, but not your average ricotta or spinach stuffed ravioli. I wanted to take a sweet and savory approach, so I went with butternut squash ravioli. (No, I didn’t make them from scratch either! I know…. shame on me, but that’s what makes this recipe super simple and quick to make). In my eyes nothing is more delicious than sage paired with butternut squash, so I did a sage butter sauce to toss the ravioli in. I also sautéed a little bit of kale and incorporated that in, so that I wouldn’t feel so bad for eating such fattening ravioli in a butter sauce. KIDDING! Haha. The sautéed kale was added in not only for color, but for texture/ an extra “bite”. Enough of my ranting. I hope you all enjoy this dish as much as we did, it was delicious!
- 2 small sized chicken breasts (trimmed and tenderized)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 7 tablespoons of salted butter
- 1 tablespoon of fresh minced sage
- 1 teaspoon of fresh minced garlic
- 1/4 cup of chicken stock
- 1/4 cup of half & half OR light cream (I used half & half)
- 1/2 teaspoon of corn starch
- 2 cups of chopped kale (no stems)
- 10-14oz package of butternut squash ravioli (I used this brand)
- salt/pepper to taste
- Set oven to 375°F.
- Trim any excess fat off of chicken breast. Pound each breast on each side with meat tenderizer.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together garlic powder, onion powder, kosher salt and black pepper.
- Coat each chicken breast, front & back, with 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil (1 teaspoon in total).
- With your seasoning mixture, sprinkle evenly on front of back of each chicken breast. (Lightly sprinkle seasoning on chicken, DO NOT over season! You may have some seasoning left over.)
- Set a large sauté pan or frying pan on stove over medium/high heat. Once pan is hot, cook each chicken breast for about 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. (After cooking on pan: If internal temperature is 160°F and the chicken is fully cooked, set the breasts aside on a plate. If the chicken is not fully cooked after sautéing in a pan – put chicken into a baking pan and cook in the oven until the internal temperature is 160°F then set aside).
- Set a large pot of water over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Once water is boiling, follow the cooking instructions on butternut squash ravioli package.
- Cook & strain ravioli. Set aside.
Sage Butter Sauce:
(While ravioli is boiling)
- Set a small sauce pan over medium/high heat on the stove.
- Place butter into the pot. Once butter is melted, add in fresh minced sage and fresh minced garlic and sauté until the garlic is light golden brown. WATCH CAREFULLY – DO NOT BURN.
- Once the butter is slightly foamy, add in chicken stock and half & half/ cream. Whisk together. Turn heat down if necessary.
- Once liquid starts to simmer, whisk in cornstarch. (This thickens the sauce).
- Turn off heat and let the sauce rest.
- Next, in the same sauté pan used for the chicken, set heat to medium and add in 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Once oil is hot, add in kale and sauté until tender.
- Once kale is tender, turn heat off. Add salt/ pepper to taste if you’d like. DO NOT OVER SALT, SAUCE IS ALREADY SALTY!
- Pour the sage butter sauce over the ravioli.
- Mix sautéed kale directly into the ravioli and sauce.
- Put on a plate. Top with sliced chicken breast.
- Garnish with fresh sage leaves or fried sage leaves if you’d like.