I used to make pretzel crusted chicken years ago and it was always a hit. I’m not sure why I haven’t made it in so long. Actually, it might be because I used to make it at least once a week and got tired of it!! It’s just SO good. For those of you who aren’t pretzel fans, you wouldn’t even know that the chicken is coated in pretzel. It’s not super overpowering. This is perfect for a quick dinner, or even a party appetizer. Heat up some honey mustard in the microwave and dip the tenders in there (it’s life changing). Nothing goes better with a pretzel than mustard, so just trust me on this one! Hope you all enjoy this as much as me and my family do!
- 4 thin sliced chicken breasts (tenderized and cut into strips)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of honey mustard sauce
- 4 cups of salted pretzels (finely crushed – but leave some small chunks)
- 1 teaspoon of dried parsley
- 1 cup of vegetable or canola oil
- Salt and pepper
- Set oven to 375°F.
- Place 1/2 cup of flour onto a small plate. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt & pepper. Mix.
- In a small mixing bowl combine egg and honey mustard sauce together. Mix together until egg is beaten.
- In a separate small mixing bowl add in crushed pretzels and dried parsley . (Crush pretzels by hand in a zip lock bag OR place pretzels into a food processor and pulse until pretzels are crushed with some small chunks.)
- Coat each piece of chicken in flour (shake off any excess.) Then, dip chicken piece in egg/honey mustard mixture and let any excess drip off. Next, generously roll each piece of chicken in the pretzels. Press the pretzels into the chicken so that the pretzel crust does not come off. Shake off any excess.
- Set a large frying pan over medium/high heat and add in oil.
- Once the oil is hot, fry chicken strips in batches. Fry each piece of chicken for about 3-5 minutes per side OR until golden brown on each side. Set chicken aside onto a sheet pan lined with paper towel (this will soak up any excess oil).
- Once all chicken is fried. Remove paper towel from sheet pan and place into the oven to bake for about 5-10 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165°F.