Don’t laugh at this and also please don’t gag, but I have a small confession. I used to absolutely be obsessed with Mc Donald’s fish filet sandwiches. (I know…. I’m ashamed). I haven’t had a sandwich or anything other than French fries from Mc Donald’s in a long time. I was watching TV the other day (side note: I’m not a huge TV person so this is very rare), and saw a Mc Donald’s commercial with a fish filet sandwich in the commercial. It brought back so many memories and had me craving a real fish sandwich. This is not an exaggeration but I got right up and went straight to the market to make them for dinner. They were absolutely AMAZING. I try to stay away from cooking a lot of fried foods but it was such a treat. This will be your new favorite cheat day meal or even your new favorite party appetizer (they can easily be made into sliders)!
- 4 (5-6 oz) pieces of captain cut cod filets
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of old bay seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of thyme
- 1/2 cup of corn meal
- 1/3 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup of panko bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups of canola oil for frying
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons of dill relish
- 1 teaspoon of hot sauce
- Kosher salt & pepper
- 4 potato bread buns
- 8 slices of orange cheddar cheese
- 8 thin slices of tomatoes
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together paprika, old bay seasoning, black pepper, garlic powder, kosher salt and thyme.
- Lay cod flat on a cutting board or plate. Pat dry on each side with paper towels.
- Evenly distribute the seasoning all over each piece of cod. Make sure seasoning is on all sides of the fish/ pressed into the fish.
- In another small bowl, whisk egg and lemon juice together.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, mix together corn meal, flour, panko bread crumbs and a pinch of salt/pepper.
- Next, set a large deep frying pan over medium/high heat. Add in canola oil.
- Dunk each piece of seasoned cod into egg/lemon mixture, and then directly into corn meal breading mixture. Shake off excess breading from fish.
- At this point, your oil should be hot. Place each piece of fish into the frying pan and fry for about 4-5 minutes on each side/ until golden & crispy. Be sure that internal temperature of the fish is 145°F.
- As fish is done frying, set aside onto a plate lined with paper towel to soak up excess oil.
Make Tarter Sauce:
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together mayonnaise, relish and hot sauce.
- Set a frying pan over medium high heat. Spray each side of potato bread bun with cooking spray OR add a sliver of butter into the pan. Toast each side of bun facing down in pan until golden brown.
- Layer lettuce, 2 thin slices of tomato, 2 slices of cheese, fish, and desired amount of tarter sauce in between each piece of toasted bun.
- Repeat for each sandwich!